- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (or 1 16 oz. can cream-style corn & don’t add the milk, or add sparingly)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup melted shortening + (2 Tbls. for the skillet)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbls. chili powder
- 1 cup cornmeal, yellow or white
- Enough milk to make a medium-thin batter
- 1 4-oz. can Green Chilies, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cheese strips, optional
- 8” or 9″ iron skillet
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Add 2 Tbls. shortening to skillet and place in oven to get hot. Combine all ingredients except for the green chilis and cheese.
Mix well. Pour half the batter into the sizzling-hot skillet and top with green chilies. Add half the shredded cheese. Pour on remaining batter. Sprinkle with rest of cheese. Decorate with cheese strips if desired.
Bake approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a rack to “set” for about 10 minutes. Cut and serve warm with beans and/or salsa, or eat it by itself. Wrap up leftover bread in foil when cool. Delicious leftover by itself or with accompaniments.
Comment: Very rich – butter sparingly.
Comment: This is almost a cross between a spoon bread and cornbread.