This dish is so easy to make, and anyone who likes squash will love it.
- 3 to 4 slices chopped bacon
- 1 large onion sliced med. thin
- 2 med. tomatoes, chopped
- 6 medium-sized zucchini, sliced
- 2 yellow crookneck squash, sliced, (or use 8 small to med. zucchini squash without the crooknecks)
- Sea Salt and black pepper to taste
Brown bacon in a heavy skillet. Don’t completely cook it. Drain off some of the grease. Add rest of ingredients. Cover and simmer-fry for approximately 20 minutes. If bacon is very lean, add a little oil and/or water to keep it from scorching. Stir often. Cook until squash is desired crispness. We like ours slightly crunchy vs. soggy.
Comment: This is a great side dish any time of the year. People who even slightly like squash are surprised how much they love this dish.
Comment: I learned this recipe from my mother, who’s been making it since she was knee-high to an aphid!
Just for fun . . .